The Latest News


In Chronological Order

January 26, 2015  RDC 6211 in the Boston Sunday Globe

The cosmetically restored ex-Boston & Maine RDC 6211 at Bedford Depot Park was featured in a Boston Sunday Globe article on January 18. The article is about the MBTA's possible return to self-propelled Diesel cars in communter rail service.

January 1, 2015  William L. Patton

William Patton was a longtime supporter of FBDP and a contributor to its newsletter. He died on December 25 at the age of 87 years. More about Bill and his memories of working as an agent at Arlington and Lexington Stations will appear in the next newsletter issue.

Bill Patton in 2004
Boston & Maine Railroad historian William L. Patton

December 27, 2014  Freight House to Reopen in the Spring

Although the Freight House is closed for the winter, you may obtain many of the items there through our online store.

December 27, 2014  Robert M. Howe

Word reached us today that member and former Lexington Branch conductor Robert Howe died yesterday. Bob began his long Boston & Maine Railroad career in 1946. FBDP recorded his oral history in 2005, which you may view here.

Bob Howe at the Depot Park ribbon cutting ceremony on June 15, 2009
Conductor Robert M. Howe

December 24, 2014  Online Store Improvement

We have connected FBDP's online store with the United States Postal Service so that the most accurate postage is applied to orders based on the recipient's mailing address. Shipping costs are dynamically updated based on the recipient's ZIP Code, the type of service selected (First Class Mail, Priority Mail, Priority Express or Media Mail), and the current USPS rates.

December 22, 2014  Volume 20, Issue 4

The latest newsletter issue was dispatched in the mail today. Featured in this issue is a report about efforts in 1925 to save the late-night Theatre Train on the Lexington Branch.

November 15, 2014  Depot Project Is Nearing Completion

The project to restore the facade of Bedford Depot and improve handicap accessibility to the first floor is in its final stages. New window units and doors were installed, a platform and ramp were built, and the exterior was painted. In addition, the Town installed new cooling and heating systems so that window air conditioners would not be necessary. A new handicap-accessible restroom is now under construction on the first floor. The Facilities Department will soon create "punch list" for the contractor to identify any remaining tasks and clean-up. The DPW will paint and install new train order signal masts to replace the original masts that were determined to be structurally unsound.

  • The front (western) side of Bedford Depot
    Bedford Depot facade restoration project
  • Depot facade restoration project