The non-profit Friends of Bedford Depot Park operates the historic Freight House a public service to Minuteman Bikeway users and the general public. It's a place where visitors may come to relax upon arriving
in Bedford, learn about the railroad history that predates the
bikeway, ask questions, and receive local travel information. Old photos and railroad artifacts are on display. Cold and hot beverages, snacks,
and historical merchandise are available. Proceeds from the sale of these items are used to advance historic preservation projects and to maintain Depot Park.
The Freight House building was built in 1877 as the Engine House for the narrow-gauge Billerica & Bedford Railroad. After the demise of the B&B, the building was acquired by the standard-gauge Boston & Maine Railroad for use as a freight shed. For many decades, this is where goods were received and shipped in Bedford. A platform and siding provided boxcar access to the facility.
In the mid-1950s, the B&M decommissioned its Freight House at Bedford and sold the property. During the ensuing years, the building was used as a grain store, a Veterans of Foreign Wars headquarters, a bakery and a sandwich shop. The new owners made modifications to the structure, such as the addition of a second floor and a bay window that faces South Road.
The Freight House was purchased by the Town of Bedford in 1999 as part of the Depot Park project. The building underwent extensive renovations during 2008 and 2009 so that it better resembles its original railroad appearance.
For travel directions to the Freight House, click here for a map in the Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
Bedford Freight House
120 South Road
Bedford, Massachusetts 01730-2344
Sales Inquiries: Merchandise@BedfordDepot.org